Saturday, January 21, 2012

Teaching

So apparently I like being around any age of people.  I've worked with infants, toddlers, preschoolers, Kindergarteners, 1st graders, 5th and 6th graders, Jr. High kids, High School sophomores, and adults.  Obviously I've chosen Secondary Education so that narrows it to 7th through 12th grade.  I'm just not sure if I should focus on Junior High or High School for teaching.  Of course I'll end up where the jobs are available, and I'll be licensed to teach any of them.  But I'd like to figure out a focus so as I'm creating lesson plans, assessments, etc, I know which Core Curriculum to base it all on.
I'm volunteering right now with 10th graders and so far I like them.  I did a little volunteering at a summer camp last year with Junior High age kids and I liked them too.  Just need to get more exposures I guess, and practice with actually teaching them myself.  I did a little bit of that with the summer camp - I led a couple of the activities which I had created.  But that was very limited and in a very different setting than a public school.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, guess I never knew you were so skilled with all ages. How did your teaching go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, don't know if I'm "skilled" with all of them, but I do like them all. I got to teach the 10th grade class twice. One time it went really well, the other time not as well but it was good experience. Now I'm doing some tutoring (with other college students) so that will give me more experience too and different perspective. I'm leaning toward Junior High right now so I could teach integrated science but still do the 9th grade Biology and other stuff. Junior high kids haven't yet decided to hate science, or if they have they're a little more likely to still change their mind.

    ReplyDelete