Monday, January 23, 2012

Global Objective

In my Curriculum class today we discussed what our "global objective" is - the motivation for wanting to be a teacher and being willing to put up with all the crap of teaching (bratty kids, discipline issues, annoying parents, politics, crappy pay, etc).

So, my global objective is curiosity.

I want to help my students be curious about the world around them.  I want to teach them to ask questions and to know how to explore (and sometimes find) answers.  The world is too dang amazing to go through it without ever noticing the awe to be found in insects, birds, plants, animals, oceans, water, mountains, a sunset, or the stars.  I want to help my students learn to notice things and start to wonder about what they see- how did it get that way?  Where did it come from?  Why is it behaving that way?  What will happen in the future to it?  What will happen / how will it respond if ____ changes?  How does this affect other things in the environment?  Etc...

There's so much to learn and explore, and I hope to make a difference in the lives of some students to instill in them the desire to seek out that learning and exploration.  And the rest of them I hope will at least realize that science is NOT boring or hard, and they are all capable of succeeding.

And the other motive of a person who has little kids and loves to travel...summers off. :)

2 comments: