Sunday, November 27, 2011

Teaching in Utah

So, I'm getting a degree in Biology Education as well as an endorsement in Environmental Science (which allows me to teach all the Earth Science stuff as well).  I figured I could make a comfortable living as a teacher since it's just myself and two kids to provide for.  Think again I guess.  I just looked it up and the salary for where I want to teach is only $32,000 a year for the first year.  Ick.  I figured I need to make at least $36,000 to be comfortable.  Not even super comfortable like owning a home and stuff, I'd still have to rent.  But I could pay all my bills and have some money for incidental expenses and savings, so it would be sufficient for my needs without any government help.  I guess "self-sufficient" is a more accurate term instead of "comfortable".

So I guess I will have to get a summer job to make up the difference or work something part-time during the school year until I have worked enough years to get a liveable wage.  This is what I get for being in Utah - the state with the lowest teacher salaries in the country.  If it weren't for my family and the amazing mountains and canyons, I'd be so out of here...


He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
Proverbs 10:4
diligent: characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort (m-w.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment