Who doesn't love dinosaurs? :) I'm trying to get the categorization of them straight in my head.
Dinos belong to a group called Archosaurs, which include crocodilians, birds, pterosaurs and dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are divided into two groups: Ornithischians and Saurischians. I will attempt to summarize, but here is a very helpful diagram to start off, and if you'd like a very good reference with more diagrams and tons of good information, go to the source of this diagram.
|Taken from this awesome site that will do a much better job explaining everything you want to know.|
- Bird-hipped dinosaurs (pubis faces toward the back of the animal, next to the ischium)
- Thyreophora - armored dinosaurs such as stegosaurus and ankylosaurus
- Ornithopoda - duck-billed dinosaurs
- pachycephalosaurus, my old pal!
- ceratopsians - horned dinosaurs such as triceratops
- Reptile-hipped dinosaurs (pubis faces forward)
- Ancestors of birds
- Sauropods - long-necked dinosaurs
- Theropods - everyone's favorite carnivores
- Deinonychus, from north America
- Velociraptor, from Mongolia
Post a Comment